Can rain damage asphalt? Unfortunately, it can. Asphalt is a strong, durable material once it hardens. But even so, water can damage asphalt in a variety of ways. Water is an amazing force of nature that can harm nearly anything in its path. But rain damage can be prevented with the proper precautions, like asphalt maintenance.
Signs of Rain Damage on Asphalt
Water damage shows up in a variety of ways on your asphalt parking lot, such as:
- Cracks. Water damage can cause small cracks to develop in your asphalt pavement. If these cracks are not repaired, they will become bigger cracks that allow more water to get under the asphalt.
- Potholes. Pooling water in certain areas can cause potholes to develop in your asphalt parking lot. Potholes will only get deeper the longer they go without repair.
- Uneven pavement. When water gets through cracks in your asphalt to the support layer underneath, the asphalt surface will become uneven with high and low spots throughout your parking lot.
If you notice any of these signs of water damage to your parking lot, you should contact an asphalt contractor right away to schedule repair services. Prompt repair may save you time and money.
Water Compromises the Asphalt Foundation
The biggest problem that rain can cause for your asphalt parking lot is damage to the foundation underneath. Before asphalt is laid down the first time, the surface of the ground has to be prepared. This involves leveling the ground and laying down the foundation. All of this preparation is done to ensure that the asphalt is solid and sturdy.
When water gets through the top layer of asphalt due to cracks in the pavement, it can compromise the bond between the binder and the aggregate. Deep cracks can allow water to get down to the sublayer, which can cause serious damage to the structural integrity of the parking lot.
The Importance of Prompt Asphalt Repair
As with water damage of any kind, it will only get worse if it goes untreated. If your asphalt parking lot has cracks, potholes, or uneven areas where water pools, it would be in your best interest to have those areas repaired as soon as possible. Small issues can be easily repaired before they become bigger issues that will potentially require a complete repaving job. Typical repairs include:
- Asphalt dig out patching. This procedure completely removes a portion of the asphalt down to the foundation and replaces it with new asphalt.
- Surface patching. If the pavement has only minor damage, a thin layer of the surface will be removed and a new layer of asphalt will be put down.
- Pothole patching. The pothole will be cleaned out and a hot asphalt mix will be used to fill the hole.
Prevent Rain Damage With Asphalt Maintenance
The best option is to prevent rain damage from happening in the first place. You can protect your parking lot with regular asphalt maintenance. Asphalt maintenance involves applying a sealcoat to your parking lot that will repel water and prevent cracking and potholes from forming. This may be done in conjunction with patching a few minor cracks and holes. It is recommended that you have your asphalt parking lot sealed every 2-4 years.
Topwest Asphalt Provides Asphalt Maintenance for Parking Lots
If your parking lot is showing signs of rain damage, Topwest Asphalt provides repair services to restore your pavement to excellent condition. We also provide asphalt maintenance in the form of sealing that will prevent rain damage from occurring. Asphalt maintenance will save you money by preventing costly repairs and helping you avoid the need for a complete repaving project.
Topwest Asphalt has more than 20 years of experience with laying, repairing, and maintaining asphalt pavement. With our help and expertise, your parking lot can last for many years.
Call 604-857-3126 or contact us today to schedule service. We look forward to providing you with quality asphalt services.