Patching becomes necessary when an area of asphalt is deteriorated and no longer useable. This typically occurs when cracks are left untreated or when high stress loads cause significant damage to the asphalt. It is less expensive than completely replacing a section of asphalt, and can significantly extend the life of the pavement. At Topwest Asphalt, our knowledgeable and experienced crews know how to assess the damage and choose the right solution for your needs and budget.
Advantages of Asphalt Patching
- Allows repair of bigger holes and more serious damage than crack sealing can restore
- Less expensive than total replacement
- Protects the asphalt from worsening damage
- Minimizes the chances of needing full replacement
- Prevents the dangerous traffic situations that failing asphalt can cause
Types of Pavement Repair
Topwest Asphalt utilizes various methods of patching, depending on the overall condition of the surface and the severity of deterioration. These include:
- Asphalt dig out patching: This is the most complete, and therefore the longest-lasting but also the most complex type of repair. It involves entirely removing the failed section of asphalt down to the base and then installing a new section from the ground up. Asphalt dig out patching is recommended when an area of the asphalt has completely failed.
- Surface patching: Surface patching, also known as mill patching, is a good choice for moderately damaged asphalt that has not failed through the base materials. The surface of the pavement is milled to remove the top layers to a depth of a few inches, and the area is thoroughly cleaned. Then new asphalt is poured into the hole, compacted, and leveled off to create a tight seam.
- Pothole patching: Potholes are unfortunately common during the winter freezing and thawing cycles. A pothole typically begins as a crack that allows water to seep into the lower layers of the asphalt. When the water freezes, it expands. When it thaws, it contracts, leaving an open space underneath the surface layers. As vehicles drive over the weakened area, the asphalt fails.
During the warmer months, we perform a complete pothole repair process that includes cleaning out the hole and then patching it with a hot asphalt mix. The hot mix hardens as it cools to provide a tight seal with the rest of the asphalt. This is the recommended procedure, but it cannot be performed during our cold Canadian winters.
Throughout the colder months, we provide emergency pothole patching with a cold patch product. This procedure keeps the problem from worsening, but does not correct the underlying defects. However, it is a great solution for needed repairs during the winter months. Depending on the results of our assessment, we will advise you as to whether the cold patch should be replaced with a hot asphalt patch after the spring thaw.
Why Should I Choose You?
Based in Abbotsford and serving the entire Fraser Valley, Topwest Asphalt has been a trusted local name for more than 20 years. We have earned a reputation for our expertise and professional customer service in jobs ranging from home driveways to large municipal road construction projects. We strive to remain at the cutting edge of technology, and we use only state of the art equipment on every job. Our staff is highly trained in both project assessment and implementation of solutions, and has the skill to determine and carry out the methods that best fit your needs and budget.
We are proud of our commitment to providing only the best, most personalized solutions in our industry. Our knowledgeable sales team will listen to your needs and concerns, and then provide you with a detailed proposal along with informational literature about our proposed solution. We want you to take the time to research our company and the ideas we propose in order to make an informed decision. We stand behind our work, and we are happy to provide a list of references upon request.
Based in Abbotsford, Topwest Asphalt also serves Fraser Valley & G. Vancouver including Langley, Chilliwack, Mission, and Maple Ridge & Vancouver. Are you ready to start your next asphalt project with a team you can count on to do the job right, on time, and on budget? We invite you to call Topwest Asphalt today at 1-800-ASPHALT to discuss your project and schedule an estimate. We look forward to working with you!